Pleasurelea Tourist Resort, 438 Beach Rd, Batemans Bay NSW 2536, Australia
This trip has had to be postponed due to fires
In case you haven't dived with the club before, check out How Trips Work on the new website.
When: I propose thatwe head down early enough on Friday 3rd of January to dive(for those who choose) and camp that night, we camp again on the night of Saturdaythe 4th, and return home on Sunday 5th after some diving.
- PLEASE SIGN UP BELOW BY NEXT WEDNESDAY (4th ofDec) so that I can book accommodation on Thursday 5th (as I havemanaged to "pencil in" 3 sites (9 people) with the manager of thecamp ground, until this day) - include which nights you would like tocamp.
- I apologise that this is short notice - the availability ofcamp sites for Jan is filling up. If, after next Wednesday, you decide that youwould like to come, I will look to book another round of sites at the same campground (availability permitting).
Staying: Campingat Pleasurelea Resort (note: Barlings BeachHoliday Park was booked out), in Sunshine Bay (10 minute drive South ofBatemans Bay).
- Camp sites are un-powered, grassy, and within walking distanceof the beach.
- The price is ~$24 per person per night. Paymentis per site (equal to three people), so the reason that this price may changeslightly is if we are not a multiple of 3. Although this is a bit steep, it's avery busy time of year.
- I need to pay for accommodation up front (as per Christmas periodpolicy at most resorts), which I will be doing next Thursday (5th of Dec)morning. Hence, by signing up using the google form below, you arecommitting to pay for camping on the nights which you select to camp, even iffor unforeseen circumstances you cannot attend.
- We are limited to 15 adults (given the*current* availability of un-powered sites). However, there is potential toextend this number if we also book powered sites.
Diving: BatemansBay and Broulee Bay (15 minutes South of camp).
- Phil Herrald (who lives in the area) knows of dive sites whichinclude a ~23m wall 300m east of Broulee Island, Guerilla Bay as a shore dive,Burrewarra, and the Tollgate Islands.
Air Fills: BatemansBay.
Gearissue: Thursday2nd of Jan, 5pm.
Gear Return: Thursday 9th of Jan, 5pm.
Sign up using: this google formPLEASE SIGN UP ASAP SO THAT WE CAN BOOKACCOMMODATION 🙂
I'm organising a dive trip to Tathra from Thur 9 Jan to Sun 12 Jan 2020.
People can come for the whole period or just part of it (eg the weekend). I expect to kick off diving on Thursday morning.
Bega (where we will be based) is 18 kms from Tathra and approx 220km from Canberra. About 2:40 drive time from Canberra. The drive is via Cooma. (So far this route has been OK as far as fires go.) Bega is not on the coast.
While Tathra has a number of dive sites - the real attraction IMHO are the Tathra Pinnacles which are about 7km north east of Tathra and 1.5km from shore. These twin peaks rise from about 28m and come up to about 7m. They are spectacular terrain wise, with good amount of fish life. There is often some current at the site. The first dives each day will be to this location (subject to seas and current). Followup dives may be here or will will be closer to Tathra.
Additionally we can also consider going further afield to places like the Empire Gladstone Wreck off Pambula (this site is very sea state dependant - its got to be very calm) and even the tugs at Eden. I also intend to do some exploratory diving around Tathra.
Camping at this time of year is pretty tricky, and is generally booked out. I propose to use the Bega Campground (which does have spots) and my backyard (I live in Bega). Now the Bega campground, if you are tenting it, is OK to spend the night at, but not he sort of place that you would want to hang around at. I would strongly recommend against bringing non divers (or family) on this trip.
Air Fills I expect we will be getting airfills from the Merimbula dive shop (30km from Bega) or if we can get the club compressor down here then using that. Airfills are also available at Eden.
Gear issue I will provide details of this once I get responses back from people. (There is a bit of a challenge with this dive being immediately after the Bateman's Bay dive on 3-5 Jan. So we will doing some juggling to make this work.) I won't be at gear issue so if you have any questions please send me an email.
Brush Island / Bawley Point and surrounds has some of the best south coast diving there is. There are excellent sheltered sites such as the rocky headlands around Bawley Point and Kioloa for shore dives, and a range of excellent intermediate to deeper sites around Brush Island.
Camping will be at a Club favourite - Pretty Beach.
Hobart Beach campground, 293 Bournda Rd, Bournda NSW 2548, Australia
I'm organising a dive trip to Tathra on 28/29 March 2020.
Tathra is on the south coast, 18km from Bega and approx 240km fromCanberra. About 2:50 drive time from Canberra. The drive is via Cooma.
While Tathra has a number of dive sites - the real attraction IMHOare the Tathra Pinnacles which are about 7km north east of Tathra and 1.5kmfrom shore. These twin peaks rise from about 28m and come up to about 7m. Theyare spectacular terrain wise, with good fish life. There is often some currentat the site. The first dives each day will be to this location (subject to seasand current). Follow-up dives will be closer to Tathra. I have found alocal who claims to know some good sites just south of the boat ramp so I’llsee if he is available to guide us.
Camping: We will be camping at the Hobart Beach campsite in the Bournda National Park,around 10km south of Tathra. This is a lovely campsite in a bush setting withcovered shelter if it rains, wood fireplaces, laundry, and hot showers. You don’t go into Tathra but turn of at Kalaru (about 4km before Tathra) on theBega-Tathra Road.
Costs are $12.50 per adult per night, plus $8.00 per car per day(unless you have an NSW National Parks Pass). You will need to get a car passat the self service kiosks in the campground area.
I have checked camp site availability and there are very fewbookings at this point (5 sites booked out of 66 sites). At this stage Iam planning for people to make their own bookings and I suggest that you leaveit until you arrive. I will keep an eye on site availability and ifthings change I will let you know. The club normally stays at sites51,52,53,54.
Launching Boats The boat ramp is at Kianinny Bay. Access this from the main road as youdrive into Tathra from Bega. Turn right just after the petrol station.
Air Fills I expect we will be getting air-fills from the either Merimbula dive shop orfrom the new dive shop at Eden. They charge $12 per fill.
Gear Issue and Boat Preparation Please be aware that gear issue and boat prep is on Thursday 26th March at 5:30pm at the gear shed, North Oval. (I will not be there so if you have anyquestions you will need to email me..)
Costs: Indicative costs only:
1. Registration / Show up fees: $15.
2. Camping fees: $12.50 per night/ per person + $7 per day for thepark entry
3. Dives: between $15 and $18 (usual discounts apply for studentand/or boat driver licence holders)